Being a Manager at a Young Age

 
My Best Friend/Coworker and I 

  In honor of my one-year anniversary of being an assistant manager at my work, I wanted to talk about my experience of working in a pizza place. 

    For the people that don't know, I work at a fast food place, a pizza place. I began working at this pizza place when I was 18. I was an insider, which is another word for pizza maker. I made pizzas, prepped toppings, answered calls, and did basic customer service. A few months later, eight to be exact, I was asked if I wanted to step up and become an assistant manager. I had no experience in the field because this was my first job. I was nervous but I thought about the pay raise. I am a college student that is just learning about how to be an adult, this experience can really help me. I asked if I could just give it a shot and turn it down if I did not like it. They were understanding which made my experience working here, so much better. I did not turn it down and actually enjoyed it. 
    It was difficult at first because many people didn't take me seriously because of my age. Some thought I was a joke because who would want to listen to the 19 year old that has only been working for the company for less than a year. Many of the people I worked with were way older than me and could be old enough to be my grandma. They either did not want to speak to me or just smiled at me and told me what to do. I was a person who had a hard time putting her foot down so I just listened. I wanted to avoid drama and arguments. I wanted to avoid confrontation. As time went on, I let it go. I just became silent and did not listen to them. It did not help that they were also comparing me to my sister to who used to work there. It was rough at first but you get used to it and get tired of proving yourself to people who just do not care. 
    I trained for a few months and soon became servesafe certified. For those who don't know what servsafe is, it's a certification you need to become a manager. Anyway, this job isn't hard but it is hard managing your time when school is involved and you have people you need to take care of. However, I am managing (somewhat). I have the best support system, which consists of my family, my best friend/coworker and my coworker. They help me out a lot and I couldn't have handled everything without them. 

My advice: do it. If you are given an opportunity like this, take it. You never know how it will affect your life. Just take risks because no matter what, you will learn something. 

Hope you guys enjoyed reading.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Positive During A Pandemic

Random Thoughts

Being Postive (LITERALLY) During A Pandemic: My COVID Experience